Monday, June 15, 2020

The Glacier Meets the Desert/Drought

The End of the Ocean: A NovelThe End of the Ocean: A Novel by Maja Lunde
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Read this book on the recommendation of a friend (thanks, Steve!)--he said he'd been reading a dystopian novel. Well, with the COVID-19 pandemic, I have felt I'm living in some version of a dystopian world, so I thought this might be a good read. Well, I was pleasantly surprised--and really enjoyed the book. There are 2 parallel story tracks--that for the longest time don't seem connected at all (alternating chapters), and they aren't...till they are and everything falls into place. I figured there was going to be some way the stories & characters converge--despite the radical differences in their contexts/situations, and yes, they did converge, but not in the way I'd thought they would. And, I think it was just a few pages before the "big reveal" that I finally realized how they had converged and how the actions of one of the parties turned out to be hugely influential in the lives of the other party of people. Interesting--and probably timely, as water & drought seems to be a growing issue in our world, as a result of growing climate change & global warming.

Very disparate contexts; very interesting character developments & life histories. It was engaging the whole way through. I borrowed this from the library and read it on my Kindle.


View all my reviews

No comments: