Wednesday, June 17, 2020

The Actor's Life--by a likable working actor

The Actor's Life: A Survival GuideThe Actor's Life: A Survival Guide by Jenna Fischer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I thought it would be interesting to learn more about the journey that took an unknown midwestern girl to Hollywood stardom in the comedic hit series, The Office--which I loved. Pam was so good as Michael's secretary, especially the way she so sardonically put up with all his shenanigans. I loved her disapproving & quizzical looks.

This book was not exactly what I expected, though if I'd read the subtitle, I would have seen it was a practical manual for budding actors. It was pretty good overall. It did include interesting tidbits on Fischer's background and struggle to make it as a working actor. Mostly, though, it focused the nuts & bolts one needs to know to have a chance at making it in show biz--if that's what should happen (there's no guarantee, as Fischer makes clear--and it's a long, hard road to any kind of success). There were some funny stories of the struggle over her first eight years to land as an actor on a regular show that did more than pay the bills. And what a show & run it was on The Office! I enjoyed also the stories of the four other actors Fischer interviews and includes at the book's end. Making it as an actor--a working actor who makes their living from acting--is a tough row to hoe; not for the faint of heart, for sure. This book made me appreciate all that goes into getting to where those whom we think of successful finally get. I also enjoyed having Fischer herself narrating her story in this audiobook. Borrowed from the library; listened to it on my iPhone.


View all my reviews

No comments: