Saturday, June 13, 2020

The Crucified Life -- A Paradox to be Lived Out

The Crucified Life: How To Live Out A Deeper Christian ExperienceThe Crucified Life: How To Live Out A Deeper Christian Experience by A.W. Tozer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've always loved & appreciated A.W. Tozer's writings. He was a very thoughtful, powerful preacher/teacher in his day--and his insights & teachings based on the eternal Word of God still speak powerfully today. This was a cheap audiobook I got from chirp.com and listened to on my iPhone. It was refreshing & challenging--focused around Paul's seemingly paradoxical declaration in Galatians 2:20: "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (ESV) Tozer presciently points out problems evangelicals of his day were experiencing with the weakening of their faith--and the compartmentalizing of their walk into the "sacred" & "secular." The descent into the belief that people of faith didn't need to take any risks or need to be inconvenienced in any way on account of their faith and choices. A "giving into" the pressures of the culture around them; a "conforming to," rather than a "transforming of" lifestyle.

One of the things I loved about this audiobook was that at the end of each chapter, there was an audio selection from one of Tozer's actual sermons. Great to hear his voice of passion & clarity.


View all my reviews

No comments: