Friday, May 22, 2020

Till We Have Faces: A Myth RetoldTill We Have Faces: A Myth Retold by C.S. Lewis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I believe this is actually the 3rd time I've read this C.S. Lewis classic retelling of the Greek mythology of Psyche & Cupid. This time it was listening to it as an audiobook, though, which was a bit different. I liked some of it this way--but I think overall, I more appreciated the book/telling of the story while reading it. It's a long complaint to the gods--for the way the main character, Psyche's sister, feels she's been treated by the gods unfairly. Her complaint--for which she has an opportunity to orally plead before the gods--ends up being the turning point of her "seeing" things for properly for the first time. A realization dawns that through all she'd experienced up till that point, as she stood before the gods, she'd not truly had a "face"--knowledge of who she truly was in God's economy of things. A vision finally granted...a siren warning & call for all those who might be caught up in similar situation as hers, feeling that they'd got the wrong end of the stick & were treated unfairly, or, unjustly. The "gods," thank goodness, she finally realizes, were not just in what they did to her; it was not what she deserved...


View all my reviews

No comments: