Monday, May 25, 2020

The SingerThe Singer by Calvin Miller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is my 2nd reading of Calvin Miller's classic re-telling of the Gospel narrative in poetic free form. It's been 30+ years since I last read it, so was refreshing to read through & see its creativity. There was nothing like this before Miller--in 1975--got the inspiration in the middle of the nights and started writing down what flowed through him. Miller wrote this while a pastor of a rather small church in Omaha, Nebraska; it exploded on the Christian publishing scene and Miller never looked back. I'm looking forward to reading the other 2 parts of what become The Singer Trilogy--The Song, and The Finale. I was inspired to read this after recently working through Miller's excellent memoir, Life is Mostly Edges. We've carried this paperback trilogy bookset around the world with us since 1987, as it has our old book stamp with my wife's childhood IL address in it. Amazing. Both that little tidbit--and the book itself.


View all my reviews

No comments: