Saturday, May 16, 2020

The Day the Revolution Began: Reconsidering the Meaning of Jesus's CrucifixionThe Day the Revolution Began: Reconsidering the Meaning of Jesus's Crucifixion by N.T. Wright
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read this book as part of my Lenten 2020 readings--though it took a lot longer than 40 days for me to work through it, since I was reading it slowly. I liked the book overall, and liked the focus on what Christ's death on the cross meant for history--yes, it was revolutionary & was at the crux of God's redemption plan for the human race. But, a couple criticisms: 1) I thought it was too long & could have been probably halved & still made the same points well, and 2) I thought Wright spent too much time & energy stressing that Jesus' death on the cross was not only about God punishing Jesus in our place so we could go to heaven. I agree with his point that the western viewpoint, at least the modern view, too often "Platonizes" what occurred, making it revolve around believers "going to heaven." Wright stresses that the cross opened the possibility for humans to now be radically forgiven & transformed--and the calling to now be representatives of God's transforming Kingdom, in the midst of the enemy of humans' souls who still seeks their destruction.

Wright's emphasis felt at times that it bordered on an amillennialistic perspective--that the church now builds the Kingdom of God slowly over time as it brings transformation to the whole world. I don't believe that's what he believes, but it felt like it at times. Yes, we as the church--the Body of Christ on earth-are called to work towards transforming ourselves, our families, our communities, but we are also aliens/strangers here who know that we have "no lasting home" here. And we know that our best efforts will not bring about a total transformation of society--or an earthly Kingdom of God or theocracy. The trend of sinful human nature, the Bible makes clear, will ultimately drag down humankind into further & further open rebellion against God & His ways/rule. Of course, we also must keep in mind that God's Word says clearly that He does not want "anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." So we as His representatives/ambassadors work toward that end, as God uses us to be His witnesses.

I got this book as a birthday gift; read it on my iPad.


View all my reviews

No comments: