Tuesday, April 07, 2020

The Sleepwalker's Guide to DancingThe Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing by Mira Jacob
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Picked this up because I enjoyed Mira Jacob's graphic novel about her life/family in NYC. This one--not so much. This novel is about several generations of an Indian immigrant family who moved to the US in the 1970s--it follows them & their lives in a couple different places. The protagonist, the daughter in the family, returns home to help with her father, who seems (maybe?) to be having some health issues--and she ends up staying much longer than planned. The mother is a real character--all over the place and still adjusting to cultural differences in the US. There were some parts that caught my attention; lots of parts that were not so interesting. I did appreciate the Indian accents of the author who narrated the audiobook. But, it was overall a take-it-or-leave-it read that didn't fully engage my interest. Just not enough story/development. This was an audiobook borrowed from the library; read on my iPhone.


View all my reviews

No comments: