Friday, March 27, 2020

The God of Small ThingsThe God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Sorry--thought I'd give Roy a chance, seeing as this book won the Booker Prizer, but nah. Couldn't wait to finish it. Didn't like the extremely fragmented & convoluted way that the story unfolded, or the way the characters were drawn--goodness, how could one keep track of them the way things were written. I didn't like the silly & sometimes obscurantist way the English was written. Maybe on a 2nd read it would all make better sense--but I can't ever see myself reading it a 2nd time (which in itself is a sign of a poor novel/story). Choppy, disconnected, vague, hazy, pointless, non-engaging are ways I'd describe this book. Did I really care what happened to the 7 yr old twins and their other relatives who were had to make sense of as they ambled & rambled through meaningless scenes? No, I did not. did there seem to be a purpose or point to the experiences in the characters' lives? No, not really. Borrowed from the library (unfortunately twice! with a long wait in between); read on my iPhone, since the Kindle version wasn't available. Thank God it's over..


View all my reviews

No comments: