Friday, March 27, 2020

On Reading Well: Finding the Good Life through Great BooksOn Reading Well: Finding the Good Life through Great Books by Karen Swallow Prior
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Loved this book by Karen Swallow Prior of Liberty Univ. I waited a long time to get this from the library; the wait was well worth it. Prior is a very astute reader who extracts deep values & principles for life from a number of specific novels. Prior devotes each chapter to a different virtue (love, hope, faith, pride, etc.) and uses one specific novel (The Great Gatsby, Pride & Prejudice & others) to illustrate deep lessons regarding that virtue. Great analysis and exegesis. Well-written and organized, as well as readable/engaging. There is so much to learn from fiction & literature of all kinds--if we have ears to hear & eyes to see. Prior surely helped to better develop my hearing & seeing, and I think I'll be a better reader & interpreter as a result.


View all my reviews

No comments: