Friday, July 28, 2017

The Dust of Kandahar: A Diplomat Among Warriors in AfghanistanThe Dust of Kandahar: A Diplomat Among Warriors in Afghanistan by Jonathan S. Addleton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Enjoyed this personal reflection journal of a book that gives some great insights into the political & military life, over the year (2012-2013) that the author spent living in Kandahar. I was living in Afghanistan at the same time (in Kabul), and had the privilege of traveling to many places across the country. I did not get down to Kandahar during those years, but had made several trips to Kandahar early on--between 2003 & 2007. Addleton's perspective & viewpoint was very different from mine-and so it was very interesting to get his side of the on-going Afghan story--through the eyes of a diplomat, always surrounded by "warriors" of the US & other militaries. I remember reading about the tragic suicide bombing attack in Zabul in 2013--now through Addleton's pen, I feel like I was there and lived through it. A miracle that he survived; God has further plans for his life, that's for sure.


View all my reviews

No comments: