Friday, July 28, 2017

Killers of the King: The Men Who Dared to Execute Charles IKillers of the King: The Men Who Dared to Execute Charles I by Charles Spencer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I did't know much at all about the English Civil Wars period of the 17th century (1600s), the period in which this book takes place. It started out rather slow and a bit hard to follow, given my ignorance of the times & people, but it picked up pace for me following Charles I's public execution and then, after the restoration of his son, Charles II, the hunt & often grisly demise of the "regicides," those responsible for the execution of Charles I. A vivid reminder that people down through history have always done horrible things to each other (did you ever really comprehend what is meant by someone being "drawn, hung, & quartered?") and of the utter seriousness with which the idea of "treason" was historically considered. Interesting also to learn of the involvement of so many Puritans in attempts to turn England into a republic. I ended up giving this 3-1/2 stars in my reading log.


View all my reviews

No comments: