Friday, July 24, 2020

13 Action-Packed Days at Camp David

Thirteen Days in September: Carter, Begin, and Sadat at Camp DavidThirteen Days in September: Carter, Begin, and Sadat at Camp David by Lawrence Wright
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another great historical book by Lawrence Wright. Loved it--I'm giving it 4-1/2 stars in my Reading Log. This helped to fill in some of my missing knowledge on Arab-Israeli conflict in the Middle East, specifically about the years of outright warring between Egypt & Israel. Conflicts that go back to the days of Moses. Also gave me some good insights into President Jimmy Carter & the crucial role he played in calling the Camp David Summit & in getting Sadat & Begin to sit down together long enough to step back, getting more perspective on their loggerhead situation. This reads like a suspense novel; Wright does such an excellent job in the back & forth parleys & ups/downs of the 13 days of the summit. So many times it seemed like it was over--people were preparing to leave the next morning. Carter never gave up and did have to exert friendly pressure on both of the parties, who were not wanting to give in an inch. Borrowed from the library--read on my Kindle.


View all my reviews

No comments: