Saturday, June 18, 2005

Book Review: Winter in Kandahar




Winter in Kandahar on amazon.com



Date: September 20, 2004 11:24:20 PM GMT+04:00

Salaams! Just finished a book called Winter in Kandahar, written by an eye surgeon/scientists named Steven E. Wilson (2003). This was his first work of fiction; he is working on a new novel about Kurds.

There were a number of things in this historically-based novel that just wouldn't square with the realities of life in Afghanistan or Pakistan, but nonetheless, it developed into a pretty decent thriller that kept my attention to the end. Started out a bit slow and the writing was at times a bit uneven. Think of a "24" (Fox TV series) type situation where sometimes reality is stretched and manipulated a bit to make a nail-bitingly tense story. Also, most of this story takes place NOT in Afghanistan, but in Pakistan, Amsterdam, and the US. The novel does do a decent job of incorporating some historical personages & events--more as background for the story--mainly involving immediate post-9/11 events.

Here are some other reviews and comments below--all for now--wes

-------------------
Editorial Reviews

Bob Spear, Publisher and Chief Reviewer, Heartland Reviews, March, 2004
This is an excellent thriller! Focuses on CIA and US special operations. The surprise ending is both entertaining and poignant.

Publishers Marketing Association, May, 2004
This novel is a Benjamin Franklin Award Finalist for 2004 in the category Best New Voice in Fiction!

Book Description
AFGHANISTAN- the name conjures images of rugged mountains, ancient cities, hardened Mujaheddin, a country rife with regional rivalries, and the eternal struggle between Tajik and Pashtun. Afghanistan comes to life in this epic adventure of love, betrayal, and war. Young Tajik Ahmed Jan¹s heroic journey begins in the Northern Alliance stronghold near Taloqan just a month prior to 9/11. He is swept away by the chaos that soon engulfs the country before a chance discovery propels him to the forefront of the clash between civilizations. Pursued by both the CIA and al-Qaeda, he struggles to save his people from obliteration and find the true meaning of life in a land where all seems lost.

See all editorial reviews...
Spotlight Reviews (What's this?)
I loved Winter in Kandahar!, June 30, 2004
Reviewer: W. C Johnson "wcj140" (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews

I heard Wilson being interviewed on the Gerome Gavin Show on Voice of America several weeks ago. The host went on and on about how what a great book it was and compared it to the Da Vinci Code (I see Mr. Gavin left his own review earlier!). My book club decided to read it and I got a copy from my local book store a few days later. To make a long story short-this book was one of the best I've read in the past couple of years. The plot was great and I found myself reading way past my bedtime for several nights until I finished it. My bookclub meets next week, but already I've talked to several others in the club and almost everyone felt like I did about it. So I'm one of those who love this book.

No comments: