Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Rabbit, RunRabbit, Run by John Updike
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was my first John Updike novel, I believe, though I've read some of his short stories and used to teach them university students in China. This is the first of a series of books that Updike wrote about Harry Angstrom, whose nickname is Rabbit (from his fast-paced basketball days). This was not a bad read--I gave it a 3-1/2 stars in my Reading Log. Updike writes very dense sentences, with lots of similes and sometimes a stream-of-consciousness perspective. Story is pretty tragic overall; it involves a young married man dealing with the difficulties of marriage & fatherhood, as well with his questions of faith and inner purpose/meaning for his life. He's pretty confused overall--and consequently there is a lot of running and symbolism wrapped around his running. I am interested to sometime read about Rabbit's future days and how he & his family turn out.


View all my reviews

No comments: