Monday, August 14, 2017

Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the EndBeing Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was recommended to me by a friend who is currently in medical school--I believe he was assigned it in his first year of study. Dr. Gawande is a surgeon at Boston's Brigham & Women's Hospital & teaches at Harvard Univ. and has written a couple other critically acclaimed books. He has written a very thoughtful, insightful book that addresses a topic many are not willing to look at--impending death and the end of life--with a focus on the quality of one's life when the end draws near. And excellent questions and insights about the limits of modern medical technologies/procedures at such a time. This book was very helpful for me personally as I deal with all the issues surrounding caring for my Dad who is suffering the effects of dementia. It is important to do what we can to help those reaching the end of their days on earth (which are temporary for all of us--and, depending on our response to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, either lead to eternal life or damnation) to face those days with dignity and as much joy/happiness and fulfillment as is earthly possible--helping them to leave in peace and to leave a worthwhile legacy behind.


View all my reviews

No comments: